Wednesday 3 October 2012

Sepia Saturday 146: Model ships as studio props

The nautical theme of the Sepia Saturday image prompt this week reminds me that I have long intended to do a series of articles featuring items commonly used as studio props and accessories. Maritime studio settings were common, and not restricted to coastally located towns. They were encouraged by the long-lived fashion for sailor suits lasting well into the 20th Century, and often featured appropriately painted backdrops, life-sized boats, coils of rope, lifebelts, mastheads, etc.

I have a few featuring models of sailing ships and toy boats in my collection which give a fair idea of the range used by Victorian and Edwardian studio photographers.

Image © and collection of Brett Payne
Two unidentified young men & model of sailing ship
Carte de visite by Abderame's Crescent Studio of Bristol, c.1875-80

This carte de visite is one that I have featured previously, and I suspect that the fine model of a two-masted brig was intended to provide a nautical flavour rather than as a toy for the amusement of children for the duration of the portrait sitting. The portrait came from an album which belonged to a family who emigrated from England to Australia and New Zealand, so perhaps these young men were readying themselves for a life abroad or on the ocean wave.

The New Bedford Whaling Museum has a fine example featuring a Captain Howland admiring a magnificant model of what is presumably his own sailing ship.

Image © and collection of Brett Payne
Unidentified child with model of yacht
Cabinet card by W.W. Winter of Derby, c.1890-91

An annotation pecilled on the reverse of Winter's card mount suggests that this boy in a smart sailor suit might be Charles Richard Mapp (1887-1955), whose father Richard William Mapp (originally from Derby) was the station master at Woodville Railway Station in 1891.

Image © and collection of Brett Payne
Unidentified child and model of yacht
Cabinet card by J.L. Hart of Ashbourne, c.1894-98

This pond yacht lies momentarily unattended on the seat of the wicker chair - perhaps its owner is concentrating on balance rather than the promise of a play at the boating pond after the studio visit?

Image © and collection of Brett Payne
Unidentified young child with model of sailing ship
Cabinet card by C.S. Swift of Derby, c.1903-06

Swift's elaborate studio furniture didn't have much to do with sailing, but he was able to captivate this child shortly after the turn of the century with a model of perhaps a three-masted barque.

Sepia Saturday 146

Flickr user oldsailro has an entire collection devoted to model boats, a good proportion of which are late 19th and early 20th Century studio portraits, illustrating the huge popularity of pond yachting as a pastime for children at that time.

For more photographs of a nautical flavour head over to Sepia Saturday.

17 comments:

  1. I never so much as seen a cabinet card or carte de visite with a ship prop--and here you present a slew of them. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good idea to sail off in this direction Brett. I have one of a great aunt, as a young girl, sitting in a studio boat, but I think I'm going to 'take a different tack' for my post. Children with model sailboats are always endearing, especially when the sitter is wearing a sailor suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing the nautical theme posts. I can't wait to see what other photo prop themes are coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall definitely be looking cabinet/cdv cards in a different light having seen this post; so far I hadn't taken much notice of studio props. Nice take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. First time I've seen model ships as props in CDVs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My small collection of photos passed down through my family have absolutely NO props, so your collection is especially interesting and enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like other commenters I never took much notice of boats or any other studio props. It is an amazing collection and maybe I should have look at my own CDV's to see what I did not see all these years! Thanks for making me aware of this aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite blog! With another wonderful article and a lovely collection of old photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great mix, Brett. I like the last one especially. The stage stairs are an amazing work of carving too. Presumably photographers got ideas on the latest studio fashions from photography journals or even style books? I'd imagine the successful photographer's studio had a storage room full of furniture and props, ready to set any theatrical stage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great mix, Brett. I like the last one especially. The stage stairs are an amazing work of carving too. Presumably photographers got ideas on the latest studio fashions from photography journals or even style books? I'd imagine the successful photographer's studio had a storage room full of furniture and props, ready to set any theatrical stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an interesting and varied bunch of photos with ships. My favorite is the boy in the sailor suit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, these were just wonderful. To see the lovely ships as models with such adorable children is purely magical! I can't imagine how you ever found so many! It must have taken a while to gather them all-good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really lovely - like Christine, I hadn't seen a photograph with a ship prop before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful selection. The little kids are my favorites.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed looking at the photos, how wonderful they have that nautical thread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I'll be on the look-out for the props in my photos as well. Often I am solely focussed on the face and let so many other details slip by me. Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I especially love that last one. The look on the child's face of near confusion is priceless. And the way they're gripping the ship is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete

Join my blog network
on Facebook